[IPython-User] figure copy/paste doesn't work on MacOS X with OpenOffice

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 21 16:31:20 CDT 2011

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> I am using EPD, and I've had numerous ipython crashes, I submitted a bug
> report and pyside was blamed.
>
> How can I disable pyside, whatever it is?

Pyside is the LGPL bindings to Qt produced by Nokia
(http://pyside.org), which are api-compatible with PyQt but can be
shipped by Enthought without the GPL restrictions of PyQt.

Unfortunately PySide is a new project that's less mature and stable
than PyQt, so there are obviously some growing pains.

I'm sure you can remove the pyside installation from EPD, though I'm
not sure quite how (I don't use OSX so I don't know where things get
put).  As Min indicates, in that case you'll need to provide your own
manual installation of PyQt, but fortunately just today Aaron Meurer
gave us a nice set of instructions precisely for a non-EPD install of
all of this:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Installing-the-IPython-qtconsole-in-Mac-OS-X

I'm sure that in due time these problems will be solved in PySide
itself, though it's certainly frustrating *right now* for those who
get it as their default install.

Regards,