[IPython-User] [SciPy-User] IPython inline plots of stacked bars graphs

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Aug 21 16:32:35 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 14:24, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We should mention that the Qt console makes this fairly easy. If you want to
>> change the plot, just press <up> until you get the cell back where you drew
>> it, then add or edit lines, then run the cell to redraw the plot.
>> Shift-enter forces execution, Ctrl-enter forces a new line (enter by itself
>> tries to guess what you want).
>
> Yup, good point. That's what led me to settling on the current design
> as the default behavior: easy and familiar behavior for single-line
> plots (without requiring a separate show() call every time), while
> it's still pretty easy to do multi-line fine-tuning with ctrl-enter.
>
> Having said that, I'm still open to the idea of making this
> configurable if people need it.

I do lots of tuning of my plots, which often take a long time to
generate, so I've largely taken to starting with:

ax = plt.subplot(111)

This makes editing and redrawing many times quite simple.

That said, I am not convinced that it will be impossible to track the
'active figures' in a way that wouldn't redraw them after every plot.

-MinRK