[IPython-User] Api to start --pylab mode (PyDev integration)

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Aug 23 10:04:55 CDT 2011

On 23 August 2011 15:37, Fabio Zadrozny <fabiofz@gmail.com> wrote:

> The gui is all handled in the PyDev side -- i.e.: history, user input,
> etc. -- so, it's probably not very reusable, but the backend uses
> IPython as an interactive interpreter, with the communication all done
> through xml-rpc, so, it should be straightforward to reuse that code
> elsewhere (license is EPL).

We've actually implemented a system for doing this sort of thing, using
messages sent over ZMQ. That's what powers the Qt console in 0.11, and is
behind the HTML notebook which will be released with 0.12. (Message spec is
here: http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html ).

As for starting with pylab support, it should be possible to use a config
object and pass it to TerminalInteractiveShell.instance(), but I don't know
exactly whether it will work in it's present form, because pylab is an
option at the application level, whereas you're initialising at the shell
level. Using the ZMQ API, it certainly should be possible to start a kernel
in pylab mode.

Thanks,
Thomas