[IPython-User] ssh tunnels, pre-0.12

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Aug 31 04:19:58 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 00:22, David Froger <david.froger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to experiment ssh tunnels:
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/qtconsole.html#ssh-tunnels
>
> The wiki say that the first thing to do is:
> ipython kernel
>
> I've just get ipython from github, and installed it (0.11).
> git clone https://github.com/ipython/ipython.git

Current master reports its version as 0.12.dev, so you are not using current
IPython if it reports 0.11. check your git branch to make sure it's up to
date, and check that you don't have an older installed IPython ahead of it
on Python's path.

> "ipython qtconsole" is working, but "ipython kernel" does not. (
> [TerminalIPythonApp] File not found: u'kernel' )
>
> I suppose "ipython kernel" will be in 0.12?

Yes, `ipython kernel` is added in 0.12.  It's equivalent to:

python -c "from IPython.zmq.ipkernel import main; main()"

in 0.11

> I'm trying to get developpement version of ipython "pre-0.12" that is
> mentionned on http://ipython.org/,
> but I can't find it on https://github.com/ipython/ipython.
>
> Is there a git command to get it?

I don't know why the link says 'pre-0.12', but the development version just
refers to git master, which is the default branch when you clone the repo.

-MinRK