[IPython-User] keyboard shortcuts in notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Dec 22 12:11:16 CST 2011

2011/12/21 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the reply! That indeed worked. But is there a way to
> re-define combinations? I am sure this is convenient for emacs users,
> but I have never been a fan...

It's not really catering to emacs, instead it's the fact that we have
to confine ourselves to the ghetto of a keyboard prefix because
between the various window manager, operating systems and browsers
people use, if we tried to make 'normal' single-modifier keybindings,
something would always be broken in someone's combination of the
above.

So we opted for a *single* keybinding for which we couldn't find a
conflict anywhere and that would be easy to chord on all keyboards
(including those lacking a right control key, so it had to be control-
and a key in the right part of the keyboard).  And after using that
keybinding as a prefix, we added the rest of them.

It would be great to have this be more easily configurable, since that
would let people load up their personal combination of keybindings
that they know works for them, but I think we're stuck with this
rather awkward choice at least for the defaults.

Making that be user-configurable would certainly be great, it's just
on a first implementation we hardwired them just so we could get
something working.

Best