[IPython-User] problem in pygrads installing

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Feb 12 20:16:52 CST 2011

Hi Ismalia,

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Ismaila Diallo
<ismailadiallo64@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Dear Python user,
> i try to install pygrads. i have dowload, unzip and untar the file after that i
> have done
> sudo python setup.py install
>
> and when i compile pygrads i get this error:
>
> Welcome to PyGrADS, a GrADS-based iPython environment.
>
> Using existing pygrads rc file </home/lpaosf/.pygrads/pygradsrc>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/local/bin/pygrads", line 188, in <module>
>    IPython.Shell.start().mainloop()
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Shell'

Sorry for having ignored your message for so long...

You are probably running IPython 0.11 and this code was written for
IPython 0.10.x.  Unfortunately some apis have changed and we haven't
implemented a backwards compatibility layer (it's not completely clear
we'll be able to do so completely, though I do want to try, I've
created an issue to track this
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/issue/269).

Your best option right now is to either uninstall 0.11.x altogether or
(better) to create a virtualenv in which you run 0.10.1 by default,
and run pygrads there.  That way, you can continue to use all the
improvements of 0.11.x while running pygrads on top of 0.10.x.

Regards,