[IPython-User] Howto organize your workflow? / saving code plus results

Johannes Korn korn@freisingnet...
Fri Jan 7 11:00:05 CST 2011

Hi,

I´m having trouble organizing my work. I analyze large datasets. I
basically do this by writing a .py-file with some code (normally 30-500
lines) in an editor, then I run the code in ipython, afterwards I
inspect the results by manually plotting them or doing a bit of
post-processing.

Often I realize that I need to change my code slightly and I have to
re-run it. This means that the results of the first run get lost. Of
course I can save the plots or save the data but after a week or so it
turns out that I can´t remember if the plot is for the full data set or
only parts of it because I was too sloppy to name the plot properly or I
missed to save a critical piece of information etc...

It would great to be able to save the full ipython session with all
variables plus a snapshot of the code I executed in one file so I can
look-up quickly what source code or what parameter set produced a
certain result.

Is there a simple way to do so? If not, how do you deal with this kind
of problems?

Kind regards!

Johannes