[IPython-User] prevent ipython from starting X

Piet van Oostrum piet@vanoostrum....
Fri Jan 7 19:20:08 CST 2011

Sébastien Barthélémy wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I'm using ipython 0.10.1 (from macports) on mac os X. When I start it
 > (from command line), it first starts X11, which I do not think I
 > need, and which makes ipython start up time quite long (more than 10
 > seconds).
 >
 > Why does ipython start X11? How could I disable it?
 >
 > Thank you for any hint.

This has been discussed on the list some time ago. The problem is caused by the calls to check_gtk. If you change
           th_mode = check_gtk(th_mode)
           if th_mode == 'gthread':
                th_mode = check_gtk(th_mode)
then the problem should disappear.
Or get the development branch 0.10.2 from github.
--
Piet van Oostrum
Cochabamba. URL: http://pietvanoostrum.com/