[IPython-User] Shadow history

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jan 28 17:48:27 CST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jorge Scandaliaris
<jorgesmbox-ml@yahoo.es> wrote:
> Brian Granger <ellisonbg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > There seems to be a simple typo in history.py (diff at bottom of the post),
>>> but also the magic command %clear doesn't exist anymore? Was it renamed to
>>> something else?
>>
>> In what version of IPython?  It is still there in trunk?
>>
>> Brian
>>

> I am not sure I understand your question. All I was talking about was using
> IPython sources from github (git://github.com/ipython/ipython.git), particularly
> at commit 21940ff96ec60b3a01bd4ee08c97d0b74a95204e.
> %clear is not available in trunk, the file with its implementation lives now in
> the IPython/quarantine folder in the source tree. Does it mean there's a problem
> with it, or that it's going to be removed?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the alias clear which simply
clears the screen.  If something is in quarantine it means:

* It is broken, not tested, and unmaintained.
* We are phasing it out.

The idea is that one of two things can happen with something in quarantine:

1.  Someone steps up and fixes it, adds tests, docs, etc. => merge it
back into the main ipython codebase.
2.  No one ever does that and eventually after some time, we move it
to "deathrow"

I don't remember why %clear got moved there, but my guess is that it
simply is broken.  Fernando may remember more of why it is there.

Cheers,

Brian

> I was looking for a way to consolidate some old history to have it available
> within ipython, but I guess I'll just rely on my backup of the shadowhist
> folders and grep.
> The docs (nightly), though, still mention %clear.
>
> Jorge

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
bgranger@calpoly.edu