[IPython-User] Tab completion doesn't work on class/instance where __getattr__ has been overridden

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Mar 1 17:43:47 CST 2011

On 3/1/11 1:58 PM, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> I have a class (subclassed from list) where I have overwridden the
> __getattr__ method as:
>
>      def __getattr__(self, name):
>          if name.startswith("__"): raise AttributeError
>          def _multiplexed(*args, **kwargs):
>              return [getattr(R, name)(*args, **kwargs) for R in self]
>          return _multiplexed
>
> Now when I try to use tab completion, iPython just beeps at me and
> doesn't complete anything.  If I remove this method from my class, I
> can do tab completion.
>
> Does the tab completion use __getattr__ somewhere?  Can I add
> something to my definition to make tab completion work in iPython?

It works for me with the HEAD of IPython. What version are you using?

[~]
|8> class A(list):
..>     def __getattr__(self, name):
..>         if name.startswith('__'): raise AttributeError
..>         return 10
..>

[~]
|9> a = A()

[~]
|10> a.
a.append   a.extend   a.insert   a.remove   a.sort
a.count    a.index    a.pop      a.reverse

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco