[IPython-User] distributed arrays

samuel sinayoko samuel.sinayoko@gmail....
Thu Mar 3 04:15:42 CST 2011

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for IPython, which I think is a fantastic software. I
used to work with Matlab but I have switched to Python a couple of years ago
and never looked back.

I'm a postdoc working in fluid dynamics and acoustics and have to compute
Fourier transforms on very big arrays (~ 4GB). I've stumbled upon this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa3SHmiXxbw which demos distributed arrays in
Python. It shows how to distribute an array seemlessly over several
processors, and how to carry out sevral operations (including the fft). I
was really impressed. This is exactly what I would need.

However I haven't been able to find more information on this. I've only
found this old Trac repository
http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipythondistarray/trunk/ipythondistarray?rev=2990,
but I don't know how to download or clone it. Is the project still active?
I'd be happy to help revive this.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Sam