[IPython-User] distributed arrays

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Mar 4 12:05:07 CST 2011

Samuel,

> First of all thanks for IPython, which I think is a fantastic software. I
> used to work with Matlab but I have switched to Python a couple of years ago
> and never looked back.

Cool!

> I'm a postdoc working in fluid dynamics and acoustics and have to compute
> Fourier transforms on very big arrays (~ 4GB). I've stumbled upon this video
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa3SHmiXxbw which demos distributed arrays in
> Python. It shows how to distribute an array seemlessly over several
> processors, and how to carry out sevral operations (including the fft). I
> was really impressed. This is exactly what I would need.

Great.

> However I haven't been able to find more information on this. I've only
> found this old Trac repository
> http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipythondistarray/trunk/ipythondistarray?rev=2990,
> but I don't know how to download or clone it. Is the project still active?
> I'd be happy to help revive this.

The distributed array stuff has not moved forward at all and has quite
a few bugs in it.  But, here is the latest code:

https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/ipythondistarray

I would also check out the following:

http://code.google.com/p/petsc4py/
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/pytrilinos/
http://www.emsl.pnl.gov/docs/global/index.shtml

I am sure these have fftw support, but they are much more stable and
it might be easy to add FFTW support.

Cheers,

Brian

> Any pointers would be much appreciated.