[IPython-User] Setting the window title

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Fri Mar 4 23:34:57 CST 2011

Hajas, Wayne, on 2011-03-04 14:25,  wrote:
> I hope this is the correct forum for my question.
>
> I am running Ipython 0.9.1, Python 2.5.2, Windows XP.
>
> Through Ipython, I am running python jobs that take anywhere from
> several minutes to several days to complete.  I have a quad-processer
> machine, so I often have several of these jobs running at once.  The
> problem is that once the jobs are started, there is nothing to indicate
> which job corresponds to which python window.  I have to start looking
> around at the output files inorder to figure out which jobs are still
> running.
>
> Each of my python windows does have "c:\Python25\python.exe" at the top.
> If, from within Ipython I could change the title to the current working
> directory, my problem would be solved.
>
> My suspicion is that there is a really simple way to change the window
> title - I just can't find it.

Hi Wayne,

I don't run windows, but have you tried:

  import os
  os.system("title New title")

if that doesn't work, it looks like there are a few other
possible approaches you can try which are outlined here:
<http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/44339-setting-win32-console-title-python>

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: