[IPython-User] distributed arrays

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Mar 7 15:01:17 CST 2011

Dear Samuel,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM, samuel sinayoko
<samuel.sinayoko@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is really useful. I didn't know about these projects. I'll see if I can
> use ipythondistarray for my problem and will let you know how things go.

I'm CC'ing here Bill Spotz, the author of the pytrilinos code, who may
be able to provide you with some more info (Bill, for reference, this
is about distributed arrays in python, see
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2011-March/007402.html
for the background).

Bill has continued to maintain pytrilinos, and the underlying Trilinos
machinery is complex but precisely designed for large-scale, really
high end computing, so it may fit your needs well.

Note that this isn't dissing Brian's work, simply that as he already
said, that code hasn't seen much recent development, while Trilinos
(and PetSc) both have high-end production-ready machinery under the
hood and are used in large-scale computing everyday, so they may be a
good choice.

Now, if you want to pitch in to improve a lightweight, pure-python set
of distributed arrays (since trilinos and petsc are pretty non-trivial
dependencies), that would be awesome and I'm sure Brian would love the
help :)

Best,