[IPython-User] history, erratum

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Mar 12 19:59:50 CST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not in the 0.10 series. That branch's history only records by line, not by
> block, so that information is simply lost. In 0.11, we do record history by
> block, but we currently add it back to readline by line. I'm not sure why we do
> this; it may be unintentional. I would agree that I would prefer it to be by
> block. Perhaps that could be configurable.

I think I wrote that code... I decided to make it line-by-line because
I find editing multiline blocks in readline so incredibly annoying as
to be more or less useless.  But I can see others preferring the
alternative, so making it configurable would probably be a good idea.
The alternative implementation isn't particularly difficult, pull
requests welcome :)  It's just a matter of:

- feeding the blocks instead of the individual lines in
populate_readline_history():

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/221c7c68700927d5704a9584424c3c6e76ad5305/IPython/core/history.py#L130

- making the above choice based on a configuration flag, that needs to
be added to the config system (that's actually more work than the
functional change above).