[IPython-User] show() blocks in ipython 0.10.1

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Mar 15 20:03:59 CDT 2011

Hi Eric,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Éric Depagne <eric@depagne.org> wrote:
> I've tried with the  -pylab switch and I got the following message:
> eric@localhost -] ./ipython.py -pylab
> Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Oct 29 2010, 14:48:18)
>
> IPython 0.10.2.rc1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
> %quickref -> Quick reference.
> help      -> Python's own help system.
> object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
>
>  Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
>  For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.
>
> In [1]: import numpy as np
>
> In [2]: from enthought.chaco.shell import *
>
> In [3]: x = np.arange(10)
> Warning: Timeout for mainloop thread exceeded
> switching to nonthreaded mode (until mainloop wakes up again)

this is an unfortunate problem that can happen occasionally and is a
limitation of the threading model used in the 0.10.x series.  That's
why we moved away from threading in 0.11.x

So as unpleasant as it is, this is something the 0.10 series won't
change.  But you can already start using the 0.11 series from github
if you're comfortable with that, and we'll try to cut a release in the
next few weeks...

Best,