[IPython-User] Interactive plotting in ipython does not work

Eddie Schlafly schlafly@hotmail....
Mon Mar 7 14:57:14 CST 2011

I'm having problems getting the interactive-mode plotting to work in ipython.  I'd like to do:

ipython -pylab
plot(arange(10))

and have a line appear on the screen.  Currently, however, nothing shows up until I explicitly type show().  However, interactive mode is set:

In [6]: matplotlib.is_interactive()
Out[6]: True

If I manually force redraws by typing draw() a bunch, plots appear on the screen, but the behavior is not always what I expect (sometimes it takes several draw()'s before my plots appear).  My ipython/python version information is:

IPython 0.10.1

Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Mar  4 2011, 10:08:54)

If I set my .matplotlibrc file to be:
backend : GTKCairo
interactive : True
then interactive plotting works in the normal python interpreter, but I lose all of ipython's useful features.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  I'd like to provide more informative debug information, but I don't know my way around well enough to be helpful.

Thanks a lot,

Eddie Schlafly