[IPython-User] Heartbeat stop error. Any tips for avoiding it?

Jorge Scandaliaris jorgesmbox-ml@yahoo...
Tue Nov 8 07:35:51 CST 2011

klo uo <klonuo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> When I run some code which stresses CPU/RAM I get this error in Qt
> console and I loose all namespace and work done before
>
> It doesn't just happens when I run Python code inside IPython, but
> also some hungry program outside Python/IPython envirnoment when
> IPython is minimized aside
>
> So, is there anything I can do to assure IPython (zmq as I understand
> communication) does not brake, because as already said I loose all
> variables, modules ... I was working with?
>
> Maybe there is some procedure, that I'm willing to follow in my
> IPython session to avoid this?
>
> Also, if I expect to run demanding code, should I use IPython console
> instead Qt console? I mean this things wont happen there, right?

I am having a similar issue, both in qtconsole and the two process terminal
console (I started testing today the termzmq branch). In my case I create a set
of plots based a high number of observations (~40000) using matplotlib. The
plots are created fine, but then I get the "hertbeat stop error" message in
qtconsole or the "kernel has died, restart?" in console.
I'll have a deeper look at my code to see if I can isolate the problem a bit
further.

jorge