[IPython-User] Suggestion about parallel SSH

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Nov 13 12:47:23 CST 2011

Here is an example for starting a controller on an external interface, and
connecting an engine to it from another machine, with no config:

# start the controller listening on an external interface
server $> ipcontroller --ip=192.168.1.16 # the controller's external IP

# get the connection info from the server:
engine $> scp
server:.ipython/profile_default/security/ipcontroller-engine.json ./foo.json
# start the engine, using the connection info
engine $> ipengine --file=./foo.json

# If you fetch the file directly into a profile, then you would only need
to specify the profile name, not the file path:
engine $> scp
server:.ipython/profile_default/security/ipcontroller-engine.json
.ipython/profile_foo/security/ipcontroller-engine.json
# start the engine, using the connection info
engine $> ipengine --profile=foo

All connection info is stored in the json connection files.  You only need
to specify args like `--ip` to the engine if you do not have one of these
files, or the file
is not accurate from the engine's perspective.

I will look at adding something like this to the docs, thanks.

-MinRK