[IPython-User] Warning when running code with 'import gtk'

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Nov 14 16:19:07 CST 2011

On 14 November 2011 21:57, Alejandro Weinstein <
alejandro.weinstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get the warning
>
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:54: Warning:
> ignoring sys.argv: it must be a list of strings
>  _gtk.init_check()

It seems this has been fixed some time since 0.11. I think we were setting
sys.argv with unicode values for scripts, but we've since backtracked on
that.

You could simply ignore the warning until IPython 0.12 is out. If that's
not possible, you could run IPython from git, or track down the relevant
code and encode sys.argv back to 8-bit strings.

Thomas