[IPython-User] "extended" macro

Tom Bennett tom.bennett@mail.zyzhu....
Wed Nov 23 21:17:46 CST 2011

Hi,

I am new to IPython. I am looking for an extended macro. There are two
problems with macros:

1) In 0.11 and 0.12 we have lost the ability to save  macros.

2) Some of my macros are pretty complicated.  I would like to be able
create macros by using an editor insteas of typing them under the command
prompt

An alternative I am thinking about is to use %run file args. The problems
with that are: 1) the args parameter is quite limited. I cannot pass
variables to it; 2) it is a lot to type "run file args" every single time.

A third way is just to define a python function.  For example:

def my_command(param1):
    s = Object(param1)
    vw = View(s)
    vw.show()

The problem with this is that I want s and vw to be in the global
namespace, so that after my_command finishes, I can still play with s and
vw.  So this does not work either.

So, can you suggest some ways to handle this kind of need?

Thanks,
Tom