[IPython-User] [ipython] Searies of questions/issues? (#1046)

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Nov 25 21:35:21 CST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM, gigaimage
<reply+i-2353050-fb474eac52a6b559d9d8a42980c0f82e748128ac-57394@reply.github.com>
wrote:
> I am new to IPython. Please let me know If I need to post this type of questions on user list from next time.

Yes, questions like this should be posted to the list, to which I'm
cc-ing this reply so you can find it later in the archives.

> My system config:
> Windows 7 64 bit, Python 3.2, IPython 0.12 (dev).
> Installed all dependencies: PyReadline, PyQT (MSI installer), PyZMQ, pygments as per the instructions on installation web page.
>
> I see following issues. Not sure what's wrong and where.
>
> 1. Installation never install a .bat file or desktop shortcut to launch IPython. So I use ipython3.exe from Scripts folder in PowerShell.

Do you have setuptools installed?  As you can see on the installation
instructions, on windows setuptools is a requirement:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/install/install.html

> 2. I don't know how QT console (ipython3-qtconsole.exe) looks like because it never worked.

There's a screenshot of it on the front page of the website, and the
docs describe it in detail:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/qtconsole.html

In order to help you out with why it's not running for you, we'd need
to know what specific errors you are getting.

> 3. I just want to have a basic understanding on how to use PASTE and CPASTE.  Correct me if I am wrong.
>
>      First I copied the following code from python cookbook online to the clipboard.
>             random import *
>             randBinList = lambda n: [randint(0,1) for b in range(1,n+1)]
>     Next, typed %cpaste% on Ipython, so I see a ":" prompt awaits.
>     What's next? CTRL+V? shortcut key doesn't work. Do I use PowerShell paste menu item?

I don't know why Ctrl-V doesn't work, try the menu item perhaps.  Note
that for simple pasting from the clipboard, if you don't need to copy
multiple times, you can use %paste.  %cpaste allows you to keep
pasting until you terminate input with a line containing only '--',
but for a one-time paste, you can use %paste.

> 4. Didn't find Store command in %lsmagic% list? No longer there in 0.12?

It has just been added back a few days ago, but you need to enable it
in your config file:

# A list of dotted module names of IPython extensions to load.
c.InteractiveShellApp.extensions = ['storemagic']

I'm thinking perhaps we should add this one back by default, it's an
extremely useful thing to have in everyday use...

> On a side note: I followed Jeff's tutorial (http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/series?name=CnluURUTV) ,
> though its bit old (v0.9), I highly recommend this to new comers, please cite this on IPython doc webpage).

Good point, I added more prominent links to the videos in our front page.