[IPython-User] Installing IPython under Python 3 on Windows

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Oct 6 16:50:14 CDT 2011

Hey,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think I can build a Windows installer for IPython from Linux, but
> hopefully someone can build one when we release 0.12.

Yes, you should be able to.  At least on 2.x, the stanza

./setup.py bdist_wininst

will in fact build a windows installer.  I don't know if the 2to3
piece messes that up though.

Alternatively, you could install python3 for windows under wine.  I've
actually built *windows* installers for python packages with C
extension code under linux this way: install wine, then install Python
for windows and cygwin, and then build the installer by calling the
Windows python.  It actually works very easily, and if it does the job
for extensions (which require calling out an external compiler), it
should be trivial for pure-python packages like ipython.

But I'd try the bdist_wininst route first, it's the simplest and the
one we've used since the dawn of time to ship our windows installers.