[IPython-User] Disabling color in IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Oct 9 00:12:43 CDT 2011

Hi Aaron,

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to disable colors from the command line.
> The IPython help (ipython --help) says:
>
> --colors=<CaselessStrEnum> (InteractiveShell.colors)
>    Default: 'LightBG'
>    Choices: ('NoColor', 'LightBG', 'Linux')
>    Set the color scheme (NoColor, Linux, or LightBG).
>
> I've tried ipython --colors=NoColor, ipython --colors="NoColor",
> ipython --colors='NoColors', ipython --colors NoColor, and none of
> them work (if I type just 1<Enter>, say, Out[1] is red).  I do have
> the colors set in my config file (c.TerminalInteractiveShell.colors =
> 'Linux').  I tried in the 0.11 release and the git master.
>
> Am I doing this wrong, or is this a bug?

That's very odd, it works perfectly fine for me here...
"--colors=NoColor" turns off all coloring for me for In, Out,
tracebacks, etc, as expected.

This is on a linux system, I assume?