[IPython-User] Example similar to "ipython -p physics" for ipython 0.11?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Oct 17 10:11:15 CDT 2011

On 16 October 2011 19:15, Georg Brandl <g.brandl@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Arthur (and IPython community),
>
> I've just today wondered about the same thing, and quickly written a
> replacement
> (that does even more syntactic sugaring).  You can get it here:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/ipython-physics/
>
> Please let me know if this is interesting for you; I'll gladly give anyone
> push privileges and we can make this a standard extension for physicists
> who
> want to use IPython as a glorified calculator :)

Thanks for this, Georg. Just having a glance at the code, can I suggest you
tweak it to use the IPython extension API? Basically, you just need to
define functions and classes, then put the initialisation logic into a
load_ipython_extension function:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions.html

Then we can make an IPython profile which loads it automatically.

If you're interested, I think we'd be happy to accept this functionality
back into the IPython tree - we had this already in older versions, so I
don't see any reason not to incorporate it again.

Best wishes,
Thomas