[IPython-User] Tab completion in qtconsole

thron7 thron7@users.sourceforge....
Mon Oct 17 10:33:21 CDT 2011

IPython 0.11 on Linux here.

Tab completion in the qtconsole is acting strange for me. E.g. in a
modestly sized window doing

import os
os.<TAB>

will bring up the list of members in os alright. The list is scrollable
so I'm able to look through it even if it exceeds the window size. But
the scroll size is only the height of the member list, and I cannot get
back to the prompt where I typed the TAB. I don't know if typing does
anything to the prompt, it is invisible to me. I have to ESC to cancle
the selection list (RETURN does nothing), then I get the "os." prompt again.

In selection lists smaller than the current window (e.g. with typing
"os.get<TAB>") I see both the prompt and the list, typing more
characters then TAB updates the selection, and RETURN will execute the
current prompt.

(I also had cases where the selection list was cut when it was larger
than the current window, but cannot reproduce that reliably).

Thomas