[IPython-User] Tab completion in qtconsole

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Oct 17 10:40:21 CDT 2011

On 17 October 2011 16:33, thron7 <thron7@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> will bring up the list of members in os alright. The list is scrollable
> so I'm able to look through it even if it exceeds the window size. But
> the scroll size is only the height of the member list, and I cannot get
> back to the prompt where I typed the TAB. I don't know if typing does
> anything to the prompt, it is invisible to me. I have to ESC to cancle
> the selection list (RETURN does nothing), then I get the "os." prompt
> again.

This is by design, although it is rather unclear if you're not used to it.
When you view tab completions or object? info longer than the window, you
get a pager temporarily replacing the console. Hitting q or Esc takes you
back to the console.

This actually happens in the terminal as well: if you do "import os", then
"os?" in a smallish terminal, it goes into a pager. But it doesn't happen
for tab completion.

Thomas