[IPython-User] Example similar to "ipython -p physics" for ipython 0.11?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Oct 17 14:20:22 CDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're interested, I think we'd be happy to accept this functionality
> back into the IPython tree - we had this already in older versions, so I
> don't see any reason not to incorporate it again.

Certainly!!  Thanks to Georg for this!

I should note that I wrote that profile *precisely* to use ipython as
a physics glorified calculator: I started work on ipython when I was a
physics grad student, and part of my job was grading a lot of student
undergraduate homework that required numerical answers.  This mode was
a great way for me to be able to input final answers and have the
physics module give me back both the numerical answer and the right
units.  Now that I'm not grading undergrad work as much, it's gone
into neglect, so I'm glad to see it revived.

Furthermore, working on this will show us where that part of the api
for preparsing suffered breakage in the 0.11 transition, so that we
can restore functionality before 1.0.  That was the whole point of
these releases: to find what we've inadvertently broken and bring back
equivalent functionality for users.