[IPython-User] Making Control-D work when the line is not clear

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Tue Oct 18 19:17:45 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make Control-D exit IPython even when the line is
>>> not clear? This works for other control sequences, like Control-L, but
>>> for Control-D, I have to first type Control-U, Control-K to clear the
>>> line.  I am on Mac OS X Lion and my config file is
>>> https://github.com/asmeurer/dotfiles/blob/master/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py
>>> if that matters.
>>
>> I don't think so, b/c C-D is ambiguous: if there's text to the right
>> it means delete character.  My guess is that readline disables its EOF
>> behavior as a safety precaution if it detects the line already has
>> text on it.
>
> Ah, I never knew about delete character.  So I guess I really only
> want it to do it when it's at the end of the line.  I'll see if I can
> do it with readline.
>
> Aaron Meurer

All I found was the binding vi-eof-maybe, which I couldn't find any
documentation on, but if I set control-D to do it, it acts like enter
if text is on the line and like control D otherwise.  It's hard to
tell if this is what it's supposed to do or if IPython is just not
recognizing the EOF with other text.

Aaron Meurer