[IPython-User] Making Control-D work when the line is not clear

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Tue Oct 18 21:08:29 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It definitely would be nice though if I could just make C-d raise
>> EOFError (without affecting the input text at all).  Would it be
>> possible to make it so readline commands can execute arbitrary code
>> internally?  I don't know enough about the architecture of IPython to
>> know if this would be possible or not.
>
> I don't think so.  This isn't really about ipython, but about what the
> python readline module allows.  And the api is limited to text
> manipulation:
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/readline.html
>
> I don't see anything to bind arbitrary Python callbacks to keystrokes.
>
> Cheers,

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wouldn't it have to be IPython to do it, since
the callback would have to run separately in a different process (like
on the kernel or something)?

Anyway, maybe it's something to think about for the QT console, where
you have more control over these things.

Aaron Meurer