[IPython-User] Making Control-D work when the line is not clear

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Oct 18 18:48:22 CDT 2011

Hi Aaron,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to make Control-D exit IPython even when the line is
> not clear? This works for other control sequences, like Control-L, but
> for Control-D, I have to first type Control-U, Control-K to clear the
> line.  I am on Mac OS X Lion and my config file is
> https://github.com/asmeurer/dotfiles/blob/master/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py
> if that matters.

I don't think so, b/c C-D is ambiguous: if there's text to the right
it means delete character.  My guess is that readline disables its EOF
behavior as a safety precaution if it detects the line already has
text on it.

But that feature is really in readline, you might want to poke around
the readline docs to see if it's configurable: we simply trap the EOF
exception and exit on it, we don't directly handle the key action.