[IPython-User] qtconsole questions about run after %edit magic command, and tab setting

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Oct 18 22:46:52 CDT 2011

Hi Joon,

sorry for the slow reply, just keeping up with the storm of pull
requests has the core team more or less maxed out, and we can't quite
keep up with the user list.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Joon Ro <joonpyro@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Is there easy way to run the last script edited with %edit magic command?
> I can do %run /tmp/ipython_edit_9YlocI.py but I have copy & paste the file
> path, so it would be great if there is any easier way.

No, but it's a reasonable request... The information is lying around
in pieces, it's just a matter of hooking it together: %edit knows its
prior history, so %run just needs to query it.

If you take a stab at this we'd be glad to review a pull request,
otherwise feel free to open an issue about it; perhaps someone else
will jump on it.

> 2. It seems %edit -p is not working. It just opens up the editor with
> another tmp file. Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my setting?
> (I'm using gvim as the editor) It seems it works in the terminal ipython.

Unfortunately %edit works rather sub-optimally with the qtconsole.
Feel free to file an issue about this one, it's probably a bug on our
side.

> 3. Is there any way to set the indent behavior? Currently when I press tab
> key ipython inserts \t. I want it to insert 4 spaces instead, and I was
> wondering if there is any setting where I can do this.

Opened as https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/900.  I'd really
like to see this one fixed before 0.12, it's annoying to have to
manually insert spaces when for some reason the autoindent fails.