[IPython-User] Question about the notebook: python references n markdown?

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Thu Oct 20 12:18:31 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 October 2011 20:57, Toby Burnett <tburnett@uw.edu> wrote:
>>
>> My question is with regard to the markdown cells. Is it possible, or could
>> it be, for it to include references to python variables? If so, it would
>> satisfy a need to display nicely formatted output, tables for example. (I
>> see that markdown passes HTML table tags to the browser.)

If what you want to do is refer to evaluated python variables in markdown like

  "The value of x is ``ipython: x``"

Then no, this is not possible.  All of the markdown rendering is done
client side in javascript, and all of the ipython stuff is done server
side.  This is on the wishlish, eg to have server side rendered sphinx
with an ipython directive which allows you to interpolate ipython
expressions into your markdown, but it is not in development yet.