[IPython-User] Using embedded IPython with gevent

Dave Foster dave.foster@gmail....
Wed Oct 26 10:55:49 CDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not familiar with gevent, but I wonder if it is actually running, but
> unable to write to stdout for whatever reason. I can't think that IPython
> should be interfering with it. Have you tried with a worker loop writing a
> file or something?

No dice there either. To get it to run, i have to, once inside
IPython, to import gevent and do something like gevent.sleep(5) - then
you see the worker start to go.

How is IPython's REPL implemented, specifically the character input
etc?  gevent at its core monkeypatches things like os.select, os.read
(don't quote me on this) to make other code "gevent-compatible" -
order of imports is very important in this regard.  I can imagine this
having adverse interactions with many codebases.

thanks,
dave