[IPython-User] how to setup python notebook to run on a local network

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Oct 30 13:31:04 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it easy/safe/worthwhile to automate this, so ws-hostname defaults to the
> IP address specified? Or does it find the computer's hostname for the
> default?

The problem is that the simplest approach if you actually want to be
world-reachable is to say:

--ip='*'

to listen on all interfaces your system has.  And at that point we
have no reliable way of knowing what public hostname will resolve to
your IP address.  I suppose we could support a mode where:

1. ip is given, is not * and is not 127.x.y.z
2. ws-hostname is not given

then ws-hostname is set to the ip automatically.

But I'll defer to Min on whether there are any holes in that logic, he
wrote that code and there may be subtleties I'm not aware of.