[IPython-User] how to setup python notebook to run on a local network

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Oct 30 14:58:35 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:31, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it easy/safe/worthwhile to automate this, so ws-hostname defaults to
> the
> > IP address specified? Or does it find the computer's hostname for the
> > default?
>
> The problem is that the simplest approach if you actually want to be
> world-reachable is to say:
>
> --ip='*'
>
> to listen on all interfaces your system has.  And at that point we
> have no reliable way of knowing what public hostname will resolve to
> your IP address.  I suppose we could support a mode where:
>
> 1. ip is given, is not * and is not 127.x.y.z
> 2. ws-hostname is not given
>
> then ws-hostname is set to the ip automatically.
>
> But I'll defer to Min on whether there are any holes in that logic, he
> wrote that code and there may be subtleties I'm not aware of.

I did not write this code, it was Brian.  I will look into it, to see why
ws-hostname does not allow the right connections.

This is also related to why tunneling doesn't work - the ws url is
explicitly defined by the server, and completely ignores
the path of the original connection.  So even if you tunnel local 9999 to
your server's 8888 and you can view the notebook
on local 9999, the ws connection will try on local 8888 and fail.

We will have to ask Brian about why the ws connection does not follow the
rest of the server.

-MinRK