[IPython-User] how to setup python notebook to run on a local network

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Oct 30 15:07:49 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did not write this code, it was Brian.  I will look into it, to see why
> ws-hostname does not allow the right connections.
> This is also related to why tunneling doesn't work - the ws url is
> explicitly defined by the server, and completely ignores
> the path of the original connection.  So even if you tunnel local 9999 to
> your server's 8888 and you can view the notebook
> on local 9999, the ws connection will try on local 8888 and fail.
> We will have to ask Brian about why the ws connection does not follow the
> rest of the server.

OK.  For now at least with SSL and passwords the need to tunnel is
less, but it would be nice to sort this out before release.  I'm right
now updating our docs with a small howto section on setting up
SSL/password access for anyone wanting to run a public server.

Now, if the local and remote tunnel ports are the same, does that
work?  Or is it still broken because of the ws-hostname issue?