[IPython-User] how to setup python notebook to run on a local network

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Oct 30 15:14:11 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 13:07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I did not write this code, it was Brian.  I will look into it, to see why
> > ws-hostname does not allow the right connections.
> > This is also related to why tunneling doesn't work - the ws url is
> > explicitly defined by the server, and completely ignores
> > the path of the original connection.  So even if you tunnel local 9999 to
> > your server's 8888 and you can view the notebook
> > on local 9999, the ws connection will try on local 8888 and fail.
> > We will have to ask Brian about why the ws connection does not follow the
> > rest of the server.
>
> OK.  For now at least with SSL and passwords the need to tunnel is
> less, but it would be nice to sort this out before release.  I'm right
> now updating our docs with a small howto section on setting up
> SSL/password access for anyone wanting to run a public server.

Sure - tunnel for security is no longer necessary, but tunnel for
accessibility is still useful (e.g. server on a workstation that does not
have a public IP).

> Now, if the local and remote tunnel ports are the same, does that
> work?  Or is it still broken because of the ws-hostname issue?

if host and ports match (localhost-localhost tunnel, which is probably most
common anyway) then it works.