[IPython-User] saving qtconsole as html via a command (i.e not right-clicking)

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Sep 2 12:12:41 CDT 2011

On 2 September 2011 17:56, Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> The kernel doesn't know about qtconsole, but don't magic commands? If I
> type %guiref it seems to know. So maybe it could be implemented at that
> level.

Yes and no. The magic commands run in the kernel like any others. The kernel
is currently hardcoded to send back the reference for the Qt console for
%guiref. There is a way for the kernel to send instructions back to the
frontend (e.g. for exiting, or for launching an external text editor), so
it's certainly possible to add an instruction to save html. It's just a bit
more complex than it might seem at a glance, and we'd probably want to think
about how it would fit in with other frontends, like the new HTML notebook.

> Also, you can set up logging, which, combined with replay, could have
> similar results. You could also combine this with a wrapper above the
> iPython level at the OS/window manager level (ex AppleScript on OS X) which
> could automate creating HTML or PDFs from iPython session logs.

Logging does of course still work, and you can also extract your history
from the database. But the inline figures can't easily be recreated after
you close the process.

Thanks,
Thomas