[IPython-User] data and code IO with notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Sep 5 15:30:14 CDT 2011

On 1 September 2011 09:08, Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen@gmx-topmail.de>wrote:

> 1) Working with existing python code such as a
>        a) script stored on file on HD or
>        b) a fully programmed application stored on the same server
>        c) code from a previous session in the notebook that one wants to
> pick up
>

>   This is currently all only supported by %loadpy
>   For item 1 above, the user would need to upload the file to a server
> & load from there

We should clarify that at the moment, we're mostly running the web notebook
locally, or at least on our own computers. So it's easy enough to load up
modules & data whether we're using the notebook, the Qt console or the
terminal.

For c) above, we quite definitely support saving the notebook on the server,
so you can come back to it, rerun code, copy code out, etc. There's also a
plan to integrate it with gist, so you can publish versioned copies of your
notebook with one button.

Obviously, if you want to run it on a remote server which the user doesn't
control, you'd want some way to get code and data to that server. The
Pythonanywhere guys have quite a neat solution with dropbox - you register
your dropbox username, share files with their bot, and the files turn up in
your PA directory. To my knowledge, we've not attempted to tackle that
problem in the notebook itself. I guess the administrators providing the
notebook will want to give users varying levels of access.

Thanks,
Thomas