[IPython-User] ipcluster fails on Mac OSX (ssh-askpass not found)

David Welch david.m.welch@gmail....
Wed Sep 7 15:11:03 CDT 2011

Hello Benjamin,
Apparently I don't have the select_random_ports module.  That's pretty random, I have IPython v0.11 and Python 2.6.1.

===================
In [1]: from IPython.external.ssh import tunnel
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
/IPLlinux/raid0/homes/dmwelch/<ipython-input-1-99c6f6fce696> in <module>()
----> 1 from IPython.external.ssh import tunnel

/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.11.dev-py2.6.egg/IPython/external/ssh/tunnel.py in <module>()
     35     pexpect = None
     36
---> 37 from IPython.parallel.util import select_random_ports
     38
     39 #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.11.dev-py2.6.egg/IPython/parallel/__init__.py in <module>()
     30
     31 from .client.asyncresult import *
---> 32 from .client.client import Client
     33 from .client.remotefunction import *
     34 from .client.view import *

/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.11.dev-py2.6.egg/IPython/parallel/client/client.py in <module>()
     39                                     Dict, List, Bool, Set)
     40 from IPython.external.decorator import decorator
---> 41 from IPython.external.ssh import tunnel
     42
     43 from IPython.parallel import error

ImportError: cannot import name tunnel
===================

Any ideas?  I had IPython 0.11.dev, so I tried reinstalling IPython the release version from the site.  I got some warnings, but nothing that looks like the smoking gun.

===================
$ sudo pip install -f http://archive.ipython.org/release/0.11/ipython-0.11.tar.gz ipython --upgrade
Downloading/unpacking ipython
  Real name of requirement ipython is ipython
  Downloading ipython-0.11.tar.gz (8.0Mb): 8.0Mb downloaded
  Running setup.py egg_info for package ipython
    no previously-included directories found matching 'IPython/deathrow'
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'docs/#*'
    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'docs/man/*.1'
    no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/attic'
    no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/build'
    no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/gh-pages'
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*~' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.flc' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '.dircopy.log' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '.svn' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '.bzr' found anywhere in distribution
    warning: no previously-included files matching '.hgignore' found anywhere in distribution
Installing collected packages: ipython
  Found existing installation: ipython 0.11.dev
    Uninstalling ipython:
      Successfully uninstalled ipython
  Running setup.py install for ipython
[...]
    Installing ipcontroller script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing iptest script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing ipcluster script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing ipython script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing pycolor script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing iplogger script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing irunner script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing ipengine script to /usr/local/bin
    Installing ipython-qtconsole script to /usr/local/bin
Successfully installed ipython
Cleaning up...

Cheers,
-Dave