[IPython-User] ctrl-C question

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Sep 8 01:06:20 CDT 2011

On 9/7/11 9:24 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Bago<mrbago@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> That being said I've run into this issue separate from traits, but I gave
>> that as an example because it's reproducible. I'm not sure what the root
>> cause is. I was hoping there was a relativly easy work around but I guess
>> I'm just going to have to break my ctrl-C habit.
>
> In this case, it seems the issue comes from a signal handler that may
> be installed by Traits, I don't know... I tried manually installing
> one but it looks like traits puts in a SIGINT handler later on, right
> when the configure call is made.

Traits doesn't, but the (unspecified) underlying GUI toolkit might.
.edit_traits() is usually used when the GUI application object is already
started (e.g. to raise a dialog or embed the UI in another widget, etc.) while
.configure_traits() is intended to create and start the GUI application object
using the one dialog as the initial main window, although it will use an
existing application object if it is running. In somewhat more recent versions
of Traits UI, we use guisupport to handle this, so everything should be fairly
uniform and interact well with IPython's use of guisupport. In older versions of
Traits, I'm not sure. If the OP could state the versions he is using as well as
the GUI toolkit(s), that would help. Also, if he's using one of the --gui
options or not.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."