[IPython-User] [IPython-user] IPython LSF support

eklavyaa eklavyaa@gmail....
Wed Sep 7 21:12:10 CDT 2011

It seems to work with the following edits to the configuration

The config files were created using
ipython profile create --parallel --profile=lsf

ipcluster_config.py edits:
c.IPClusterStart.controller_launcher_class = 'LSFControllerLauncher'
c.IPClusterStart.engine_launcher_class = 'LSFEngineSetLauncher'

ipcontroller_config.py edits:
c.HubFactory.ip = '*'

I was able to start the controller and engine using
ipcluster start --n=2 --profile=lsf

However, the engines would occasionally time-out. Here are the logs of two
engines from the same session

$ cat ipengine.e.8694278
[IPEngineApp] Using existing profile dir:
u'/home/unix/username/.ipython/profile_lsf'
[IPEngineApp] Loading url_file
u'/home/unix/shsingh/.ipython/profile_lsf/security/ipcontroller-engine.json'
[IPEngineApp] Registering with controller at tcp://X.X.X.X:36875
[IPEngineApp] Completed registration with id 0
[IPEngineApp] Engine Interrupted, shutting down...

$ cat ipengine.e.8694300
[IPEngineApp] Using existing profile dir:
u'/home/unix/username/.ipython/profile_lsf'
[IPEngineApp] Loading url_file
u'/home/unix/shsingh/.ipython/profile_lsf/security/ipcontroller-engine.json'
[IPEngineApp] Registering with controller at tcp://X.X.X.X:36875
[IPEngineApp] Registration timed out after 2.0 seconds

The first one was able to register, while the second one was not and would
thus time-out.

My guess is that it is something to do with the fact that the engines might
be getting allocated to a node before the controller, but can't verify this.

Note that this time-out issue happens most, but not all, the time.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

-E