[IPython-User] vim-ipython without qtconsole

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Fri Sep 9 22:08:05 CDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> `ipython kernel` was added after 0.11.  In 0.11 you can start a
> kernel with:
>
> $> python -c "from IPython.zmq.ipkernel import main; main()"

Thanks everyone, I added a note about both methods to vim-ipython's README.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Martin Laprise <mlaprise.ml@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I just discovered this morning the awesomeness of the
> > vim-ipython extension.
> > All the demo I saw so far uses the qtconsole. Can I use the
> > vim-ipython without the qtconsole ? I've made some
> > experiments and it doesn't seem to work.
>
> I talked to Paul about it recently, but I don't know if he's made the
> necessary changes yet or not.

Just to clarify: vim-ipython, as shipped in IPython 0.11 and in
git, can talk to any kernel given the proper connection string,
regardless of how you started the kernel. So the command for
starting a standalone kernel which Min shared for 0.11 works fine
for vim-ipython.

I have not yet made the changes Fernando refers to, which was to
make it so that vim-ipython *started* a new kernel if it could
not find one, or at the user's request, but will do so as soon as
I find the time (perhaps even tonight).

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: