[IPython-User] vim-ipython without qtconsole

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sat Sep 10 15:37:21 CDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 13:34, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 1:25 PM, reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> $>  python -c "from IPython.zmq.ipkernel import main; main()"
> >>
> >> -MinRK
> >
> > When I do this I get:
> >
> > --existing --shell=53164 --iopub=57979 --stdin=54810 --hb=0
> >
> > *note* the zero at the end. When I source ipy.vim and try to connect to
> > this I get:
> >
> >   IPython.zmq.kernelmanager.InvalidPortNumber: The port number for a
> > channel cannot be 0.
> >
> > Note that ipy.vim works fine when using the qtconsole, but not using
> > this new method.
> >
> > Also, I'm in windows xp with the latest clones from vim-ipython and
> ipython.
> >

> I think the issues with port 0 for the heartbeat socket was fixed
> post-0.11, so you'll need to use git master for this to work properly,
> I'm afraid.  We're still a few weeks from realistically looking at an
> 0.12 release, as we've landed a lot of new code recently that we need
> to stabilize.

It's not that serious - the random port is chosen after the message is
displayed in 0.11, but it's fine if you just specify the hb port:

$>  python -c "from IPython.zmq.ipkernel import main; main()" --hb=10101

Fernando is right, this too is fixed in master.

-MinRK