[IPython-User] The cat's out of the bag: ipython notebooks spotted in the wild...

Wes McKinney wesmckinn@gmail....
Thu Sep 15 20:03:48 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> we haven't made much noise on-list about it, but those who were at
> euroscipy witnessed my enthusiasm about it  :)  And we know that a few
> of you are already using the notebooks, and even sending pull
> requests.  If you are curious, recently a couple of mentions/reviews
> have been made:
>
> - A thorough look with critical feedback by Anne Archibald:
> http://lighthouseinthesky.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-ipython-notebooks.html
>
> - Wes McKinney (of pandas fame) using them for a talk and actually
> providing the real notebooks for you to follow along:
> http://wesmckinney.com/blog/?p=202.  I'm really thrilled to see this:
> we'd love the notebooks to become a natural way for users to exchange
> complex computational sessions in their daily work, and Wes is
> starting the tradition by making his talk slides available next to his
> notebooks.
>
> While this is something we've all wanted and on which recently the
> core team has put a lot of work, it's important to highlight that the
> lion's share of the credit goes to Brian, who went into silent
> mad-hacking mode for a few weeks around the 0.11 release timeframe and
> emerged from his den with a fully functional notebook branch.  It's
> also an excellent illustration of how the work we've done since early
> last year on our zmq/messaging architecture is now paying major
> dividends, as this runs on the exact same machinery (in fact, my
> preferred mode of usage is to keep a qt console connected to my
> notebook kernel for  a nicer help viewer, additional quick
> experimentation that doesn't mess up my document, etc).
>
> If you'd like to start playing with the toys, and giving us feedback
> (much preferred if it comes in the form of a pull request :), the
> installation instructions are here:
>
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/install/install.html#dependencies-for-the-ipython-html-notebook
>
> a quick overview is here:
>
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/htmlnotebook.html
>
> and you should note that the docs ship with a directory full of
> notebook examples:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/docs/examples/notebooks
>
> Cheers,

Indeed, the notebook is a really amazing piece of work and I know it
will only get better from here on out. Many kudos to Brian and the
IPython crew for keeping up the stream of innovation. Folks were
extremely impressed with it at the talk I gave yesterday.

- Wes