[IPython-User] ipython --pylab as a plot server
Sat Sep 17 12:38:06 CDT 2011
Is it possible to start up an ipython 0.11 kernel as a separate process that
acts as a plot server for other (possiby remote) processes? In more detail,
here's the general idea:
1. Start up ipython 0.11 kernel with --pylab
2. Run an initial script that loads an extension module, say EXT
3. EXT spawns a separate C thread that listens for incoming data
- when data comes in, it is converted to numpy arrays
- the numpy arrays are put in special variables in a special namespace
- then a plot string is evaluated
4. The main thread loops until killed by SIGTERM or equivalent.
For example, the extension module has roughly the following C code:
double *x, double *y;
long len = marshall_data( x, y ); // Fill up x and y
g = PyGILState_Ensure();
put_xy_into_numpy_arrays( x, y, len ); // as x and y in namespace "special"
PyObject *p = PyRun_String( "figure(); plot( special.x, special.y )" );
Py_XDECREF( p );
1. How do I ensure that the kernel does not exit until it receives a signal?
2. Will all the GUI toolkit initialization be handled by ipython?
More information about the IPython-User