[IPython-User] User survey findings

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 21 17:54:55 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I've decided to close the IPython user survey that we've been running for
the last few months. Although it was still getting new responses, I think
it's more useful for us to have a snapshot of our userbase in 2011 than a
continuous stream of data. It can hopefully form a baseline to see the
impact of new tools like the Qt console and the HTML notebook.

I've described what we found on the website:
http://ipython.org/usersurvey2011.html

Personally, the most interesting result was the use of IPython in industry.
While there are many academic and hobbyist users, as I'd expect, there are
also a lot of people using IPython for their job, from the finance industry,
to controlling medical equipment, calibrating spaceflight instruments, and
systems for the US military.

The platform breakdown is also fascinating to see. A large majority of the
sample use IPython on Linux (not necessarily exclusively). I don't know if
this reflects the ease of installation, the support for casual programming
in the Linux world, a sampling bias, or some other factor.

Thanks to all the 240 people who answered the survey, and I hope we get
round to doing another one in the future.

Thomas