[IPython-User] per user notebook instances

Moritz Emanuel Beber moritz.beber@googlemail....
Tue Sep 27 06:26:02 CDT 2011

Thank you for your encouragement and replies so far.

On 09/22/2011 12:09 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi Moritz,
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Moritz Emanuel Beber
> <moritz.beber@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> After launching the notebook kernels, I start a web server with a single
>> page that directs students to their notebook via links. Can the notebook be
>> password protected? Right now, everyone can access everybody else's notebook
>> via the web page.
> Stefan just pointed out that I failed to respond to this...  The
> notebook server (thanks to work by Satra Ghosh) does support SSL and
> very simple authentication.  You can provide the options --certfile
> and --keyfile to specify respectively the path to  an SSL certificate
> file and (optionally) an RSA key file.  Using a self-signed
> certificate comes with the usual caveats that users will need to add
> an exception for it, but then their session is encrypted.
>
> And you can also specify a simple password for each notebook.  This
> can even be done at the command line, though that kind of defeats the
> purpose (since 'ps' will show it) for anything other than testing.
> But if you set the password option in the user's config file, which
> can be created with user-only privileges, then they won't be able to
> log into each other's notebooks.
>
> The password is to be set in the config file option with the
> IPythonNotebookApp.password option.  Probably the best approach would
> be to create a profile:
>
> ipython profile create class2011
>
> and then go to the profile_class2011 directory and edit the password
> flag in the config file ipython_notebook_config.py.
>
> This could be done automatically by the initialization script, along
> with changing the permissions on that file to user-only read.
>
> Nothing fancy, but it should do the job.
>
> Cheers,

Just a simple question remains, can I import part of the IPython
configuration to inspect where profiles are stored? I know the default
is ~/.config/ipython with the later versions but if I can simply get
that path directly I'd prefer that.

Thanks,
Moritz