[IPython-User] HOWTO Installation from source without administrator permission?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 27 20:34:59 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM, HM <hgmercurial@yeah.net> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> The instruction in the web page below indicates one needs administrator
> permission to install ipython into python path.
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/install/install.html
> I would like to install in my home directory as I do not have root/admin
> permission. How to?

Just pass the --user flag to the setup script, and it will be
installed in your user directory:

python setup.py install --user

By the way, this is just how python installation works for any
package, it has nothing to do with ipython; here are the docs on this
feature:

http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#alternate-installation-the-user-scheme

Best,